Friday, October 30, 2009
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
1. Fries with spicy tofu sauce at Dots- yes
2. $1 Corndog from Hungry Tiger Too- oh, hells, yes!
3. Chick-o-Stick doughnut from Voodoo Doughnuts- i think so
4. Tiramisu from Portobello- yes
5. Vegan Mulita from Gorditos or Gorditos II- yup
6. Nanotear Ham and Cheeze sandwich from Tube- oh, hell to the yes!
7. Milkshake from Sip- yup
8. Gnocchi from Portobello- yes
9. Caramel Nut Bar from Sweetpea Baking Co.- yes
10. Soft serve from Blossoming Lotus- yes
11. Local cherry tomatoes from a farmers market-yes
12. Dong Po Tofu from Bay Leaf- i don't think so
13. Jerked chickun from Assase Ital- no
14. A Big Big Lunch Special from an Indian cart- yes
15. Soy latte made with Stumptown espresso- yes
16. A crappy tofu scramble- yes
17. Cornmeal pizza from Dovi Vive.- yes, mmmm
18. Weeping Tiger sandwich from Bye & Bye- no
19. Bye & Bye or Floor Punch from Bye & Bye- yes!
20. A Bowl meal from a cart- yes
21. vegan nutella from freddy's hazelnuts- no
22. soy curls in bulk from food fight or proper eats- yes
23. buffalo wings from Vita- yes
24. the weekday vegan pancakes from Laurelthirst- yes
25. Maple vegan sausage waffle from flavourspot- yes
26. Drunken noodles with pepper steak from Thai Food Cafe- no
27. Macnocheeto from Homegrown Smoker- no
28. Veggie platter from an Ethiopian restaurant- yes
29. Blackberries picked from a public place- i think...
30. Baba Ganouj from Ya Hala- yes!
31. Coconut Mashed Yams from Papa G’s- yes
32. Butternut Squash Wontons from Hungry Tiger Too- mmmmm, yes
33. Vegan slice from Bella Faccia- yes
34. Apple pie from Whiffies- yes
35. Chili dog from Zach’s Shack- no
36. Vegan poutine from Potato Champion- yes
37. Missionary Chocolate Truffle- oh, hells yes!
38. Apron Activists 4-Course Dinner- yup!
39. Hot Wok at New Seasons- yeah
40. Che Guevara Burrito from Laughing Planet- yeah
41. Bryan’s Bowl from Por Que No?- yes
42. Pad Thai from Pad Thai Kitchen- yes!!
43. Cupcake from a stand at Last Thursday- no
44. The Giant Pancake at Hungry Tiger Too- yes
45. TLP from Red & Black Cafe- yes
46. Cornmeal tempeh plate from Proper Eats- no
47. Tofu Po Boy at Palm State Gumbo- yes
48. Maple Walnut Scone from Back to Eden- no
49. Vegan Mezza platter from a Lebanese restaurant- yes
50. Crispy eggplant from Fujin- no
51. Lemongrass Tofu Sticks from Van Hanh- no
52. Tofu Salad Bun at Pho PDX- no
53. Cocktail made with local liquor- yes
54. Biscuits and Gravy from Paradox- yes
55. Smoky soy curls from Homegrown Smoker- mm, yes
56. Field Roast sausage- yes
57. Secret Aardvark Hot Sauce- yes, too spicy for me!
58. Toddbot's Triangles- yes
59. Local microbrew- yes
60. Hot Lips soda- yes
61. Herb Crusted Tofu with Mushroom Marsala from The Farm Cafe- yes
62. had a picnic in Laurelhurst Park- yes
63. burrito from Shelley's Honkin Huge Burritos- yes
64. Eggplant tibs from Bete Lukas- no
65. Tator Tots before noon or after midnight- of course!
66. Lone Ranger from Chaos Cafe- no
67. Sunday brunch at Sweetpea!- yes
68. Tofu at a BBQ place (for example Derby Mustard Sauce Tofu at Russel Street BBQ)- no
69. Mint Fava Falafel at Nightlight Lounge- no
70. An unexciting hummus plate at a bar.- yes
71. Vegan meatball sub from Aalto Lounge- no
72. Koi Fusion spicy tofu tacos- yes
73. Veggie dog from the Vegi dog stand- yes
74. Sesame chicken from a vegetarian chinese restaurant- yes
75. Bagel with Bacun Scallion cream cheese from Sweetpea -yes
76. Vegan savoury crepe- yes
77. Veggie kibbeh- maybe, i have a hard time knowing the names of the lebanese things i eat
78. Club Vegan at Backspace- i think
79. ice cream sundae from Back to Eden- yes
80. Raw fudge from Blossoming Lotus- yes
81. Tempeh reuben- yes
82. Pause vegan burger- yes
83. vegan ribs- yes
84. something baked with local marionberries- yes
85. Veggie bento box- yes
86. Dave's Killer Bread- yes
87. Higher Taste Buzzitos- yes
88. Thai food that the server swears is vegan, but you taste fish sauce.- heh...
89. Elephant ear from the Saturday Market- no
90. Dovetail sticky bun- oh, yes!
91. savoury pie from Nicholas restaurant- yes
92. Salad rolls from the Just Thai cart- no
93. Vegan torta from Gorditos II- heck yes!
94. Nutritional yeast on your popcorn at a movie theater- yes
95. Vegan grilled cheese from The Grilled Cheese Grill- yes
96. Pasilla burrito from El Nutri- no
97. Something from the vegetarian menu at Andina- no
98. Vegan Steak and Cheese from D.C. Vegetarian- yes
99. Dragon Noodles at Red & Black Cafe - no
100. Falafel from Wolf & Bears- no
Monday, October 26, 2009
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Monday, October 19, 2009
Friday, October 16, 2009
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
---------I don't recollect what initially made me think to become vegan. I've been semi-vegetarian for years and went fully vegetarian (I finally gave up seafood) when I moved to Portland in 2005. I had sorta decided to become vegan but had forgotten why I wanted to do it until I read Erik Marcus' book Meat Market and John Robbins' book The Food Revolution. A lot of vegetarians question why vegan if you're not killing the cow or the chicken (or goat, etc) and then you have to explain how dairy cows have to give birth on occasion to keep up the milk supply and those calves usually go into the veal industry and how male chickens are pretty much useless so some places just throw them, alive, into trash bags where they die of suffocation and really their living arrangements suck and the amount of feces all these animals produce are destroying our environment......ok, i'm done with my spiel. Read those books for more eloquent explanations!
2. Are you 100% vegan (food wise at least) or do you sometimes eat non-vegan food, and if do so, under what circumstances does it usually happen?
---------I am not 100%. When I go home or visit other people's homes (usually older people, I normally force people my age to feed me vegan. they're usually more understanding about diet restrictions) I am more lax and tend to eat vegetarian. I have a hard time eating raw veggies around the holidays and normally that's the only option when I'm at my sister's in-laws. I do need to get better at making food for gatherings. I don't like cooking in other people's kitchens so that's where I get lazy...I also will eat food that is brought to me at restaurants that accidentally has dairy/egg in them. I just feel like since I'm not grossed out by it, I might as well eat it since otherwise it will be thrown out. However I can't do that with meat.
Also, I will eat bee products.
3. Where do you stand on the whole B12 thing? Do you take supplements, eat fortified foods, do you even care? (not to preach but you really should!)
------------I do take B12 sublingual supplements. I'm surprised I don't take them more regularly because they are tasty little suckers! They have so much in them that it's not necessary that I take them daily.
4. Which rocks – Tofu, seitan, or that other stuff, what do you call it, Tempeh?
-----------They all rock! They are each good for different things. My favorite usage for tempeh is in a reuben. Tofu is awesome in thai food. Seitan makes a mean cheese steak sammie.
5. What are your top 5 vegan meals?
--------I'm going to include stuff I don't make myself:
1. Pad Thai Woon Sen from Pad Thai Kitchen
2. Bowl of goodness (like Sweetpea's Happy Bowl or Bye & Bye's BBQ Brussel Bowl): Brown rice, bean/tofu, greens
3. Sauteed veggies on top of a grain with Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream and Sriracha (similar to #2, I know)
4. Pizza!!!! Favorite toppings: faux sausage, sauteed greens and mushrooms, corn.
5. New Years Meal!
6. Are you vegan and proud, get used to it! Or do you sometimes keep it quiet? You know what i mean!
---------I don't always advertise it but I have no problem talking about or telling people. And I'm not a big animal activist like some of my vegan friends.
7. What is your all-time favourite vegan cookbook?
---------Probably Veganomicon. It holds a special place in my heart since it's the first cookbook I helped test for (I did a terrible job because I didn't test very many). Some of the recipes I make regularly are Low Fat Banana Bread (add choco chips!) and the Spicy and the Smokey Tempeh marinade.
8. What is your favourite vegan food blog?
---------So many favorites! But I'm going to go with Let's Get Sconed! because it's one of the best.
9. What is the most annoying thing about being vegan? Come on, you can have a good rant if you want, you’re amongst friends!
--------Not being able to order anything you want, wherever you go. Which is why I love all vegan places! You don't even have to think about stuff like, do they know what vegan really means? Is there whey in the bread? Eggs in the pasta? Casein in the nondairy creamer?
10. What food do you really hate (vegan food that is)?
--------Hmmm...I think I'll eat most anything really. I dislike a lot of stuff but really if it's in something I can usually deal. I don't like cilantro (therefore coriander as well), celery, kalamata olives, rye, really sourdoughy sourdough, fennel (I hear from my co-fennel hater that it's good roasted), and anise.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
I'm running low on time for today's post, so this one will be a quickie! I thought I would just give a shout out to my five favorite food blogs. Most likely you're probably looking at least one of them already!
Sunday, October 4, 2009
I've done a post about farmers markets before, but since it's MoFo there's a lot of people who haven't been to my site before and who haven't read through it(and most likely won't....unless they become totally enamored with me....or are bored silly.).
Friday, October 2, 2009
Thursday, October 1, 2009
I was doing Silk for awhile, but since they've been bought out they aren't using American organic soybeans. Oh, and Trader Joe's is more convenient. I get their unsweetened organic refrigerated one. Which is actually Silk anyways.....
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Braised Cabbage with Seitan, Spicy Black Eyed Peas with Greens, and Spinach Linguine with Pesto.....all tester recipes from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's upcoming weight loss cookbook. So far everything I've made has been fan-freakin-tastic.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Seitan.....i can't get that recipe right to save my life....
5. Favorite pickled item?
6. How do you organize your recipes?
Loose recipes? A lot of them are on my Stickies application on the computer, in order of when i made them. Others are written in no particular order in my special (because it's shiny blue with silver shiny stars) recipe notebook.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
compost and trash. me and the roomie keep a container in our freezer for compost stuff and so we make a trip down to the composter every few days.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
does this include dishes? if so, pad thai woon sen w/tofu and veggies, a big salad, Trader Joe's Cherry Chocolate Chip ice cream
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
my mom makes delicious cherry hand pies. they're moonshaped and the crust is a yummy flakey pie crust very lightly dusted with sugar. mmmm....
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Vegan with a Vengeance was probably my first. either that or i have a bad memory....
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Strawberry, but i rarely have it. Probably because i haven't found any that's close to my mom's freezer jam...
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Hello Kitty waffle maker, liquor, pyrex, too much stuff really...
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
blueberries i picked, compost, Trader Joe's Soy Nuggets
20. What's on your grocery list?
tamari, lemon juice, veggies
21. Favorite grocery store?
Grocery Outlet because you never know what you're going to find!
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
i usually leave the veganizing to others
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
i really like the one Ricemilk chocolate bar that has the cream-type center
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
the vegan steak and cheese from DC Vegetarian food cart. it was $5 and i was planning on getting Just Thai because $5 will get me enough food for 3 meals. that sandwich only lasted me one. it was soooooo good though. also, Just Thai was closed due to family emergency and i was starving...
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?