Thursday, October 1, 2009

Let the MoFoing begin!!

As I mentioned in my previous post, October is Vegan Month of Food. For this first post I'm going to do what a lot of people (including Miss Whoa Wren where I saw it) are doing: questionnaire!! I love filling these suckers out and I may have filled this out for last year's MoFo, but my answers have changed for some of the questions and...oh, well...too bad, so sad....I may also add some questions of my own....

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I was doing Silk for awhile, but since they've been bought out they aren't using American organic soybeans. Oh, and Trader Joe's is more convenient. I get their unsweetened organic refrigerated one. Which is actually Silk anyways.....

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Braised Cabbage with Seitan, Spicy Black Eyed Peas with Greens, and Spinach Linguine with Pesto.....all tester recipes from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's upcoming weight loss cookbook. So far everything I've made has been fan-freakin-tastic. 

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Nooch

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Seitan.....i can't get that recipe right to save my life....

5. Favorite pickled item?
Beets!!

6. How do you organize your recipes?
Loose recipes? A lot of them are on my Stickies application on the computer, in order of when i made them. Others are written in no particular order in my special (because it's shiny blue with silver shiny stars) recipe notebook.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
compost and trash. me and the roomie keep a container in our freezer for compost stuff and so we make a trip down to the composter every few days.

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
does this include dishes? if so, pad thai woon sen w/tofu and veggies, a big salad, Trader Joe's Cherry Chocolate Chip ice cream

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
my mom makes delicious cherry hand pies. they're moonshaped and the crust is a yummy flakey pie crust very lightly dusted with sugar. mmmm....

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
see #8

11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
toaster oven

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Salt

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Vegan with a Vengeance was probably my first. either that or i have a bad memory....

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Strawberry, but i rarely have it. Probably because i haven't found any that's close to my mom's freezer jam...

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
cupcakes/cake

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
tofu

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
dinner

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Hello Kitty waffle maker, liquor, pyrex, too much stuff really...

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
blueberries i picked, compost, Trader Joe's Soy Nuggets

20. What's on your grocery list?
tamari, lemon juice, veggies

21. Favorite grocery store?
Grocery Outlet because you never know what you're going to find!

22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
i usually leave the veganizing to others

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Get Sconed!

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
i really like the one Ricemilk chocolate bar that has the cream-type center

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
the vegan steak and cheese from DC Vegetarian food cart. it was $5 and i was planning on getting Just Thai because $5 will get me enough food for 3 meals. that sandwich only lasted me one. it was soooooo good though. also, Just Thai was closed due to family emergency and i was starving...

26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
agar agar, it's kind of a bitch to me

27. Favorite food cart?
so many to choose from these days! i'm looking forward to Julie Hasson's that's opening tomorrow at Mississippi and Skidmore (i think that's the right cross street). Right now my favorite would probably be Just Thai, SW 3rd and Stark.



3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yay for surveys! I'll have to do this one tomorrow.

And strawberry freezer jam - omg that stuff is amazing! My MIL makes it, and no other jam or jelly is edible to me after tasting that stuff.

Anonymous said...

Where do you take your compost? Most of my garbage is food scraps and I live in an apartment with no means of composting. Is there a place in Portland that takes compost?

Karla said...

tahini- i'll be doing a little post on my compost today, so check back for answers!